Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Review: Skin79 Lemon Brightening Mask

Hello everyone!


Stock photo

Today, I’ll be reviewing about Skin79’s Lemon Brightening Mask in 75 ml. I decided to give this one a rating sooner than every other product I listed, because I guess this will be the first among the products in my list to run out. I think a couple of uses more, and I’m all out of a brightening mask. So, here are the snapshots on what the actual product looks like.

So, here's an up-close shot.
Sorry, a bit messy. Just used some of it earlier today. 

The box, the lid, and the jar. Forgive me for the messy photos. 


The spoon, and the yellowish substance
Notice the packaging; its design is somewhat mature and formal. The yellowish product (the mask pack) is placed inside a jar, which is made of some sort of fiber glass. The jar is kind of heavy, and I think the jar, would somehow break, if anything happens to it. It comes with a small ‘spoon’, which I think is the best beauty ‘spoon’ I’ve ever had. I think I’ll be using this ‘spoon’ frequently until it breaks. The original packaging came with a box; I still have it, but it got a few dents due to shipping and handling. Honestly, I would have preferred the product to come with a tube for easy dispensing, and for more hygienic purposes as well. On second thought, maybe the thick yellowish liquid HAS to be preserved in a fiberglass kind of jar? Maybe, just maybe. Moving on….

I’ve had this one since October 12, 2013 and I’ve been using it once, or twice a week at most. As you could see, I have a little of the product left. In my estimate, I guess a jar would be enough for a little more than 20 uses, and it depends on the frequency and the coverage. So, I think one jar could have you covered a little more than two months. I got this jar at about Php 740. That’s about Php 30 per use. Pricey, but hey! It’s still cheaper than facial sheet masks (around Php 50 each) and more definitely spa facial services (around Php 200) or more.  

First, let me tell you what facial masks are for. Facial masks are supposedly beneficial for the skin. Most facial masks I’ve seen are targeted towards specific skin issues, like acne-prone skin, dull skin, dry skin, and so on. Most people would go to a spa to pay for a good and relaxing facial. Some are trying to find some solutions to their skin troubles. I’ve tried a spa facial a lot of times before, and I personally think that spa facials are good, only that they are really pricey. For instance, the cheapest one I’ve had was worth Php 200 five years ago, and if I recalled correctly, the esthetician used a sheet mask for my face. However, not all spas resort to sheet masks, some also use mask packs. 

Mask packs, like the Skin79 Lemon Brightening Mask, can be considered great alternatives to spa facials. They can be used at the comfort of anyone’s home. There are also mask sheets available for home use; I’ve had a lot of it as well, and most of them are good. So while there are some masks that are for everyday use, there are also masks that can only be used two times per week at most. The Skin79 Lemon Brightening Mask is the latter. However, I never tried using it more than two times, and I’m not really sure what it could do for your skin if you happen to use it more than a couple of times.

As soon as I had the mask, I became so excited to try it on. So, of course, instead of trying it on right away, I had to cleanse and tone my face first, which I did. That is, to remove the impurities first so that the nutrients and other ingredients could easily penetrate the skin. So, here are closer snapshots on how the product would actually look on your skin:

Scooped some using the 'spoon'

My arm prior to application

Initial application of the product using the spoon

Showing you the coverage of the  same product I scooped earlier

First impressions? I felt rather disappointed at first. A few seconds after I spread out the thick yellowish substance on my face, my skin started to feel a stinging sensation, which is a bit annoying to me. I could only speculate that the product touched pores that were previously inhabited by acne. So, if that’s the case, I would NOT recommend this to anyone who has/had troubled skin. I could only speculate that products like this (ones with lemon mostly), could only make your skin more TROUBLESOME.

Since the description suggested putting the mask on for at least ten minutes, I complied. The mask stung for a while, and then the sensation slowly disappeared. As a matter of fact, the mask then felt like a cold gel, which is very relaxing for my part.

The Skin79 Lemon Brightening Mask is a wash-off type of mask. So after ten to fifteen minutes of putting it on, you are recommended to wash it off using lukewarm water. Honestly, I hate it when it’s about time to wash it off. I mean, the cooling and relaxing part ends here, and worst of all, the thick mask is a bit stubborn to take off. In my case, I had to wash it thoroughly, which is a rather tedious thing to do, and by the way, things could go a little messy.

Results? The hard work did pay off. After I washed it off, I felt that my skin has become smoother and silkier; my face looked brighter as well.

Will I repurchase? Maybe. As of now, I feel like I still have a lot of masks to try on; so most likely, I would end up with another one as soon as I run out of it. This product is great, but I think it’s not enough to reach Holy Grail Status.

Rating? I think it’s a 4.00 out of 5.00.

PACKAGING – Packaging is okay; it would have been great if the product came with a lighter jar. Would have been great if the jar wouldn’t break, too. However, I fell in love with the spoon.

EFFICIENCY – Initial product price is pricey and it only takes a while to consume all of it, and the results are somewhat satisfactory;

EFFECTIVENESS – It is indeed effective; the brightening mask lives up to its name;

FRAGRANCE – The fragrance is somewhat citrusy, but some other times, it reminds me of a ‘cheap’ car freshener. So, if you’re not in a healthy mood, you may not like this.

OTHERS – It stung, even for skin with very minimal acne and pimples, like mine. It’s somewhat difficult to wash off.

I guess the review ends here. If you have questions, please post them on the comment section below.

Also, please let me know if there’s a mask that you’d like to recommend.

Thanks and have a nice day ahead!

Love,

NEWBEE


[DISCLAIMER] This is NOT a sponsored or paid advertisement. NEWBEE (the author of this blog) chose to buy the said product at her own expense. Please note that the reviews are not by any chance made by an expert on makeup and skincare; these reviews are all based on the author’s limited knowledge, thoughts, and opinions. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment