Thursday, July 10, 2014

Review: Nanny Rose's Queen Bee Sticks and Pulls Honey Wax All Natural Hair Remover 50g (as COLD WAX)

I can't live without wax. 

There, I said it. Sadly, I'm not one of those lucky few who are free from unwanted hair. 

While there are so many products out there that could remove hair, I still prefer waxing. Waxing can be so painful, but a few tries and you'll definitely get the hang of it. Plus, it effectively removes hair that it takes about 2-4 weeks for hair regrowth. If you're lucky, too, your hair may not grow back again, which happened to my sister's legs after the first few tries of waxing. 

Would you even believe it that I even wax my brows so that they would stay in tiptop shape? 

In other words, wax is very important to me, and when I found out I ran out of my favorite waxing product last week, I panicked. I can't possibly have my favorite wax, especially when I have to try and purchase it online. I have to wait at least 3 days to obtain it, and I can't wait for even a day! 

I gave up and decided to stick to my other option. I headed to the nearest mall, and looked for an alternative. Browsing through the shelves, I realized that there were so many waxing options available, including Epilin, a hot kind of wax, which I happened to love when I was in my college days. But, I ended up my relationship with Epilin sooner than expected - because I almost burnt my skin with it when I tried waxing. Since then, I shied away from hot waxes. 

After careful thought and consideration, I ended up with Nanny Rose's Queen Bee Sticks and Pulls Honey Wax All Natural Hair Remover in 50g. Curiosity got the best of me. I mean, its packaging says that it can work both as a hot and cold wax. Plus, it was on sale; I saved only about 10 pesos though, but I badly needed my wax! 

Sorry for the random ramblings up to this point. I felt like talking, anyway. Ladies, without further ado, meet the Nanny Rose's Queen Bee Sticks and Pulls Honey Wax: 



The 50g kit contains: 1) 50g of natural honey wax; 2) 2 pcs of thin wooden applicators; 3) reusable, washable, cloth pulls.

According to the packaging: 

Nanny Rose's honey wax will spruce you up in the sweetest way possible. This sticky pot is a combination of locally produced honey, sugar and calamansi juice. It contains no harsh chemicals and ingredients that can cause allergies that is why it can be used on sensitive skin and delicate areas. Making use of ingredients that are closest to nature, you can be sure that every jar of Nanny Rose's honey wax is made with love. Now made even better and closer to nature by using unrefined and unbleached honey sugar. 

With Nanny Rose's honey wax, hair s removed down to the roots, leaving your skin smooth, and hairless for 3 to 4 weeks. Your kit can last up to 2 years if properly kept. Seal the cap after every use. This kind of wax may be used as is. But for best results, it is highly recommended to use it warm.

It's a recipe. Not a formulation.  


This particular wax can be used either as a cold wax or hot wax, and I'm pretty glad that they provided specific instructions on how to use it properly:

How to use:
  1. Simply remove cap and heat the jar of wax in a microwave oven (in medium heat) for 10-15 seconds, just enough to soften the mixture. Stir the mixture and let it rest until its temperature is cool enough to apply on skin. (HOT WAX)
  2. Prep your skin by washing the area with soap and water to remove unwanted residue. Dash a little powder on the area to be waxed to keep it dry. 
  3. Using the wooden applicator, apply a thin layer of the wax in the direction of hair growth. In the same direction, place the strip of cloth on top and even out air bubbles. 
  4. Swiftly pull the end of the cloth towards the opposite direction - against hair growth. Repeat as needed. 
  5. Reddening of the skin after waxing is normal. Wax residue on skin can easily be removed with a damp cloth. Allow pores to close by letting skin rest for at least 30 minutes before completely washing the waxed area.
A SWEET REMINDER: Do not use on broken and irritated skin. 


MY EXPERIENCE/ IMPRESSIONS

In case you're not aware, hot waxes are often difficult to apply. You will have to determine when is the best time to put it on your skin. Put it too soon, and you might scald your skin; put it a little later, and you might end up reheating the whole thing because the wax temperature may not be enough to hold the hairs. 

My Epilin days made me shy away from Hot Wax, which is why I decided not to use the Nanny Rose wax as hot wax. This review will only focus on the Nanny Rose's capability as cold wax, and nothing more. 

Packaging

One of the reasons why I bought this was the packaging; hey, it stood out from the rest of the waxes out there! I knew I had to give it a try. 

As you could see on the photos, the plain box was cleverly and creatively given an identity with a simple piece of paper. It's simple, and yet, very irresistible. At first glance, I really thought that this product could have been an import, probably from the US, but boy, I was wrong, or I might be wrong. This is locally made! Plus points for that! 

Also, it comes with a microwaveable tub. Pretty useful for those who are thinking of using it as hot wax. Did I mention that it has a printed manufacturing date and batch code on it? 

Obviously, the packaging is perfect for me. No doubt about that. 


Formulation (Oops! I meant RECIPE!) 

To be honest, I've had a hard time opening the tub. The wax almost solidified on the lid! Well, I let it pass since my favorite wax just happens to have that kind of problem as well. Maybe, it's the norm among cold waxes. 

Here's a tip: store the wax properly or you'll end up with a lopsided product that would surely take all of your strength before you manage to use it! The first time I used this, I almost had no strength left to continue my waxing routine, but I managed anyway.

Anyway, by the time you open the lid (congratulations on doing so), you'll be greeted with a heavenly scent of honey and sugar. Delicious and sweet! 

Sadly, the sweet scent is the only good part in this review. The rest is somewhat hellish. 

Who would have thought that the wax would be as hard as stone?! 

Crazy as it sounds, I spent a lot of time scraping through the hard-as-stone wax. The thin wooden applicator is simply a failure! Both wooden applicators broke after a couple of tries, and the cloth just does nothing. The wax would hardly adhere to it! 

I tried using my canvass type strips and they seem to work even better. Once the wax adheres to the skin, pull it out using the strips, and it would appear that every hair is pulled out. Nice try. BUT!!! I have to do a lot of work to be able to cover a tiny patch of my skin - tinier than what my favorite cold wax could do. 

This HG contender on waxing is just a disappointment. Plus, its formulation makes waxing even more painful. Duh?! It solidifies and when you pull it out, it hurts like hell! My favorite wax doesn't do that kind of thing. In fact, the pain is hardly there. 

Cost to Benefit

Sorry, but I have nothing good to say about the Nanny Rose's Recipe (formulation). Nice try, but too bad. I guess what I spent is not worth it. Even if it was a measly Php 80.00 for a 50g product, I still find it a waste as a Cold Wax. 

Rating
  • Packaging - 5.00 out of 5.00 
  • Formulation - 1.00 out of 5.00
  • Cost to Benefit - 2.00 out of 5.00 
Average Product Rating: 2.67 out of 5.00

Pros: 
  • Lovely scent
  • Pretty packaging
  • Works as a wax
Cons:
  • Very difficult to use
  • Both the applicators and cloth strips are useless
  • Very painful to use
  • Extremely sticky 
  • Solidifies easily
  • Hard to scrape
  • Could only wax a tiny portion 
Repurchase?

Obviously, I won't. This is just too much for me to try again. 

Sorry if I couldn't judge this product as an Hot Wax. However, I'm certain that the makers behind the Nanny Rose Wax should have never labelled this as COLD WAX. It doesn't work well, and I guess it's a failure. 

Let me know what you think on this!

Till the next review!

Love lots,


NEWBEE



[DISCLAIMER] This is NOT a sponsored or paid advertisement. NEWBEE (the author of this blog) chose to buy the said product at her own expense. Please note that the reviews are not by any chance made by an expert on makeup and skincare; these reviews are all based on the author’s limited knowledge, thoughts, and opinions. 
If you have beauty products that you’d like me to review, let me know!  
Need advertising space? This blog is also open for advertising. Please send me a message to:newbeeworld31@gmail.com


0 comments:

Post a Comment